Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pm
Tuesday & Thursday, 5:30pm – 8:00pm
Saturday 8am – 12pm
TOWN CLERK’S OFFICE ROLE
The Town of Clayton’s official documents are kept in this office and are available to the public. These include minutes of all Town Board and various other board meetings, agreements, resolutions, Town code and local laws. The vital statistics or records of births, deaths and marriages occurring in Clayton are also available through this office.
Licenses are issued Monday through Friday between 8:30 am and 3:30 pm. Appointments are preferred, but not necessary.
- Both parties must be over 18
- Both applicants must come in person
- Each party must bring two forms of identification (see below)
- Fee: $40.00 (cash, check, money order only)
Choose one of the following age related documents:
- Birth Certificate (Original or Certified copy with raised seal) *** Original Foreign birth certificates must be accompanied by a certified & notarized translation into English***
- Baptismal Record (Original or Certified copy with raised seal) *** Original Foreign birth certificates must be accompanied by a certified & notarized translation into English***
- Naturalization Record (Original)
AND choose one of the following identification documents:
- Valid U.S. Driver’s License
- Valid Passport
- Valid Employment Picture ID
If either party was previously married a Judgment of Divorce or a death certificate must be provided (these must be in the English language)
There is a 24 hour waiting period before license can be used and license is good for 60 days in New York State.
FOIL REQUESTS AND COPIES
The Freedom of Information Law (Public Officers Law, Article 6) is New York State’s principal statute on providing for public access to the records of government. The records access officer is responsible for ensuring appropriate agency response to public requests for access to records.
How to Submit a FOIL Request
If you wish to access a record under the FOIL, you must make your request in writing. Please be as specific as possible in describing the records in which you are interested. We encourage you to use email for your request by sending the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Just put FOIL Request in your subject line. A formal FOIL request form is not required. Within five (5) business days of the receipt of a request, we will send an acknowledgement that we received the request. If you choose to mail a completed FOIL Request Form, please send it to:
Town of Clayton
405 Riverside Drive
Clayton, NY 13624
Or email it to: email@example.com
Why You Might Be Denied Access to a FOIL Request
Certain records or portions thereof are excepted from disclosure under authority of Public Officers Law Section 87.2 (a-1). These records include those which:
- Are specifically exempted from disclosure under state or federal statute
- If disclosed, would constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy
- If disclosed, would impair present or imminent contract awards or collective bargaining negotiations
- Are trade secrets or are submitted to the agency or are derived from information obtained from a commercial enterprise and which, if disclosed, would cause substantial injury to the competitive position of the subject enterprise
- Are compiled for law enforcement purposes and which if disclosed would interfere with law enforcement investigations or judicial proceedings, deprive a person of the right to a fair trial or impartial adjudication, identify a confidential source, or disclose confidential information regarding a criminal investigation, or reveal criminal investigative techniques or procedures, except routine techniques and procedures
- If disclosed would endanger the life or safety of any person
- Are inter-agency or intra-agency materials which are not statistical or factual tabulations or data, instructions to staff which affect the public or are final agency policies or determinations, are external audits, including audits performed by the comptroller and the federal government computer codes
- Are examination questions or answers which are requested prior to the final administration of such questions
A denial of access must be in writing, stating the reason for denial and advising your right to an appeal.
How to Appeal When You’ve Been Denied Access
If you’ve been denied access by the Records Access Office, you will be notified by them in writing. You have a right to appeal, but you must do so within 30 days. An appeal must be filed in writing and mailed to: Megan Badour
Town of Clayton
405 Riverside Drive
Clayton, NY 13624 You can also fax a request to 315-686-2651
FOIL Fee Schedule
There is a charge of $0.25 per page for copies, not in excess of 11 by 17 inches. A fee for copy of other records will be charged based upon the actual cost of reproduction. The fee for files on CD is $5.00 per CD.
- REQUEST TO SPEAK AT MEETING FORM
- FOIL REQUEST FORM
- TOWN OF CLAYTON BIRTH CERTIFICATE REQUEST FORM
- TOWN OF CLAYTON DEATH CERTIFICATE REQUEST FORM
- TOWN OF CLAYTON MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE REQUEST FORM
- TOWN OF CLAYTON GENEALOGICAL SERVICES APPLICATION
- TOWN OF CLAYTON DOG LICENSING APPLICATION
- APPLICATION FOR FIREWORKS PERMIT& FIREWORKS HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT (Must complete and return both documents, along with fee) *updated 2021
This office collects taxes with installments January 1st through May 31st.
Hours of collection and payment due dates are noted on your bill.
If you do not receive your tax bill please contact the office at 315-686-3512, Option 1 to request a copy, or click on the link below. Enter your name and address, or parcel number in order to view your parcel. Then, click on “Tax Info” on the left side of the page. Once on the Tax Info page, click on “View Tax Bills” to print your bill.
Failure to receive a bill does not exempt the taxpayer from payment of taxes or penalties.
**Note: SCHOOL TAXES mailed September 1st are collected by the School Tax Collector, not the Town of Clayton. All payments and questions regarding School taxes should be directed to the School Tax Collector directly.