Richard Ingerson, Code Enforcement Officer
405 Riverside Drive
Clayton, NY 13624
Phone: 315-686-3512, option 3
Monday – Friday: 7am – 3:30pm
THE CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER’S ROLE
The Town & Village of Clayton Code Enforcement Officer is responsible to enforce the International Building and Fire Protection Code, the New York State Uniform Building and Fire Protection Code and local municipal building codes, as well as the provisions of other local laws pertaining to quality of life issues.
The Code Enforcement Officer is responsible for the following tasks:
- Review, check, and pass on plans and specifications submitted with building permit applications for compliance with building and fire protection codes, zoning ordinance and applicable laws prior to issuing permits.
- Inspect buildings and structures in the process of construction or repair for compliance with approved plans and specifications and all requirements of applicable ordinances or laws.
- Issue building permits and furnishes the prescribed certificates of occupancy upon application.
- Explain the requirements of the local building codes, the local zoning ordinance, the International Building and Fire Code and other applicable laws to building contractors and to the general public.
- Provide for removal of illegal or unsafe conditions and secures the necessary safeguards during construction.
- Order unsafe conditions in existing structures to be removed and arranges for condemnation notices to owners and builders of improper or hazardous structures.
- Inspect existing buildings and structures to ensure their conformity with safety standards.
- Investigate complaints and assists in prosecuting violations of the building code and zoning ordinance.
- Maintain records of acts and decisions.
- Prepare periodic reports of buildings and structures erected or altered, of permits issued, of fees collected, and estimated costs of work covered by such permits, for presentation to the Village Board of Trustees.
- Attend basic and continuing in-service training courses
- Notice of Responsibility
- Building Permit Process
- Information Required for Permit
- Building Permit Application
- Information Required for Certificate of Occupancy
- Building Construction Questionnaire
*Please make checks payable to: Town of Clayton
*Don’t forget that you must add the Certificate of Occupancy fee to the Permit fee for a final price.
- New York State Uniform Fire Prevention & Building Code
- ADA Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities (ADAAG)
- NYS Division of Code Enforcement and Administration
- US Fire Administration
Emergency Housing and Assistance
Salvation Army, (315) 782-4470
American Red Cross, (315) 782-4410
Jefferson County Department of Social Services (315) 782-9030
Legal questions regarding Lease and Rental Restrictions
New York State Attorney General’s Office, (315) 785-2444
New York State Electric & Gas (NYSEG):
- Electricity Outage (800) 572-1131
- Gas Odor (800) 572-1121