"A hollow where several hills tumble together was
to be the nesting place of the pleasant little hamlet of Depauville.
Nature made this spot unusually beautiful and extremely productive.
The hills were densely clad with maple, elm, beach, oak and walnut. A
shining stream, with abrupt curves and a tumbling waterfall, wended its way
peacefully among the hills. It was, and still is, a region of great
scenic beauty. The splendor of sunsets bathed in red and gold and the
flaming yellow of the sunrise can scarcely be matched anywhere."--Introduction
to The Changing Years: A History of Depauville, compiled by the
Depauville Bicentennial Committee, printed by Benjamin Printing, Watertown,
New York, 2004.
Historic Map of Depauville
Depauville Free Library & Community Center
32333 County Route 179, Depauville, NY 13632-0239
Library Director: Karen Lago
The first library in Depauville existed in the
1920's, in a corner of the old grocery store owned by Horace G. Jones.
On December 3, 1954, the Town Board, encouraged by the efforts of Ethel
Spencer and Vernet Schnauber, voted to establish a free public library.
This was the birth of the Depauville Free Library. The library was
located in the basement of the Town Hall and included around 500 books
donated by the Regional Library System. After many years, donations,
and grants, the library currently contains around 5,000 volumes. The
library now resides at 32333 County Route 179 in Depauville recently
underwent bathroom and other renovations in order to meet recommendations
of the ADA and become more accessible to those community members with
The Depauville Public Library & Community Center
also includes a community playground.
NEW LIBRARY PICTURES
Visit the Library Website by
Depauville Free Library Renovation
News Articles: Clayton & Depauville
Depauville Volunteer Fire
A gazebo, dedicated to Sheila Reff.
View Larger Map